Meet another one of our highly-experienced Ndebele translators: Jabajaba.
1. Which languages do you translate and what industries do you specialise in?
“IsiNdebele: Education (Literacy, Numeracy and Life Skills), Health, Social, Science.”
2. How long have you been a translator, and how did you get into translation as a career?
“8 years. I just had a passion for languages and that prompted me to enrol for language studies at the University of Pretoria.”
3. What’s the most challenging translation project you’ve ever worked on?
“Nassou-Via-Afrika’s Numeracy Project.”
4. What was your favourite food when you were a child?
“Soft pap and crushed wors.”
5. If you could choose to stay a certain age forever, what age would it be?
6. What is something you learned in the last week?
“You realise that you really needed someone until they leave you.”
7. If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
“Instill wisdom into people.”
8. When you have 30 minutes of free-time, how do you pass the time?
“Try to relax my mind as much as I possibly can.”
9. What’s your favourite Ndebele word or phrase (and what is its meaning)?
“Jabajaba – meaning to be up and about or to be busy.”